Breathing is the foundation of our existence and well-being. My advice to you today is to pay more attention to your breath. Are you holding your breathe? Breathing deep or short? How we breathe determines how we feel and how fully we are able to be present and well. When we are stressed, we tend to hold our breath. When we are relaxed, we tend to breath in much deeper and let go much easier.
Take a moment now to try on this simply breathing exercise. It's important to understand there are four parts to the breathe. 1- breathing in, 2- holding your breath at the top, 3- breathing out, 4- holding your breathe at the bottom.
1) Breathe in deep for a count of 4 if you can (go at your own comfort level). This breath-in invites rejuvenation, renewal, opportunity.
2) Hold this breath at the top for a count of 2.
3) Breathe out fully for a count of 4 or whatever is most comfortable. This letting out is important for letting go of stagnancy, staleness, negativity, etc.
4) Hold this breath at the bottom for a count of 2.
5) Repeat until you feel more relaxed and more at ease.
Meditate, simply pause between thoughts, hold space, breathe deep , meditate, be the observer, a present witness.
Liz Myers, MA, RYT200
Spiritual Life Coach, Yoga and Meditation Teacher.
Click on each month for a full listing of wellness articles